rat lungworm disease

| Home | | About RLWD | | Diagnosis | | Road to Recovery | | Victims Voices | | Support Research | | The Media | | Support Groups | | Email |

The Road to Recovery - Kaye Howe and Rebekah Uccellini Kuby

Rebekah is currently in Europe on a program and will be back in a couple of months and Kaye has been working on a program with schools in Hawaii for their childrens gardens that will teach children at home and in the school gardens preventative measures to insure they are never infected by slugs or snails carrying Rat Lungworm disease. So, until they have a window of time to provide the content for this section it remains incomplete. Anyone needing a timely answer to a question can always contact either Kaye or Rebekah or get in touch with one of the support groups by clicking here and sending an email.

The Road to Recovery will be detailed by these two remarkable women who have been intimately connected to Rat Lungworm Disease and to each other. It was through the illness of her son that Kaye Howe first heard of Rat Lungworm Disease and led to her becoming acquainted with Rebekah. Kaye was in Indonesia on a project when she recieved a call that her son was in the hospital. Not long after her return to Hawaii she was back in school in order to work with Dr. Susan Jarvi doing research on the disease. This work led to her meeting another victim of Rat Lungworm Disease - Rebekah Uccellini Kuby. The road to recovery is their story as well as others with first-hand knowledge of Rat Lungworm Disease. In Hawai'i, Bishop McLean - a naturopathic practitioner was able to heal himself with the treatment detailed in the video below and another resident of Hawaii recovered after consuming Chaga Mushroom Tea for several months. His video is after the first video below.

Hawaiian Naturopathic Prectitioner Bishop McLean Cure - Direct Buy Link : Duramectin click here
System Detox Healthforce Myco-Immunity click here

Immunity Boost Host Defense Tincture click here

Take these 5 supplements together and get results!

1.Vitamineral Green Powder ALL IN ONE ! click here

2. Barleans Brain Optimizer click here

3. Cedar Wood Essential Oil click here

4. Cod Fish Oil click here

Human and Animal Dewormer and Bot Destroyer by paralysis. Destroys 100's of pesky worms and parasites before they invade immune system and brain.

Do 2 - 3 treatments for the offspring of parasite. Also take Chaga Mushroom and Detox from this company as a system restorer.

The healing benefits of Chaga Mushrooms - Kava Bar Hawai'i.

The case study below was prepared by Kaye Howe and represents a contribution to the Rat Lungworm Disease Scientific Workshop held at the Ala Moana Hotel, Honolulu, Hawai‘i in August of 2011. She published this study of her son Graham's illness, treatments and eventual path of recovery in the Hawai'i Journal of Medicine and Public Health.

Case Report of Graham McCumber

A 23-year-old man from the Kapoho area of the Puna District on Hawai‘i island was hospitalized at the Hilo Medical Center on December 26, 2008. Before becoming ill he was healthy and active. Prior to hospitalization he suffered from severe headache, stomach pain, and muscle and joint pain. He was taken to the emergency room twice, treated with morphine for pain, and released. He was admitted on his third visit when he was unable to urinate. Shortly after his admission he developed skin sensitivity such that even a light touch caused great distress. He was eventually diagnosed with eosinophilic meningitis resulting from parasitic infection by Angiostrongylus cantonensis, probably caused by accidental ingestion of an infected slug host. He was prescribed prednisone to suppress the immune system, as well as morphine and oxycodene for pain. On January 2, treatment with the anthelmintic mebendozal was begun (10 mg/kg for 14 days).

The patient began to show improvement. However 16 days after hospital admission (January 11) he began to experience double vision, increasing exhaustion, and stabbing head pain. The following day his manual dexterity decreased significantly and within 24 h he was comatose. An MRI showed inflammation involving white fiber tracts and bilateral basal ganglia, as well as questionable hemorrhagic products scattered throughout white matter tracts of both hemispheres and within the cerebellum. He was intubated, ventilated, and flown to the Queen's Medical Center, Honolulu, for additional diagnosis.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the brain showed what looked to be worm tracks in his brain. Medical records show his condition reported as “grave with a dismal prognosis and no hope of much recovery.” Evaluation at the Queen's Medical Center showed a left side empyema, hydrocephalus, post encephalitis brain atrophy, and history of eosinophilic meningitis complicated with severe demyelinating encephalitis, and cachexia. Two days later he opened his eyes and was occasionally able to respond to a request to squeeze the hand of a family member or nurse. Eleven days after the patient became comatose a tracheotomy was performed and a gastric tube was inserted. The family then requested the administration of supplements and Chinese herbs. A physician suggested using a Chinese medication (Xing Nao Wan) that had been used in a similar case of A. cantontensis infection of a 23-year-old man in China, which had resulted in coma; however, after four months of treatment that patient recovered and was discharged from the hospital with mild memory loss.8 Other supplements requested by the family were used as well; these were the blue-green algae spirulina (Arthrospira platensis) and chlorella (Chlorella vulgaris), as well as noni (Morinda citrifolia).

On January 27, after the tracheal and gastrointestinal tubes were in place, the patient was flown back to the Hilo Medical Center. He was taken off the ventilator, as his breathing was not grossly impaired. However, the tracheal tube remained in place to ensure a clear airway. He remained in ICU for 4 days and was then moved to a nursing unit. On January 31, the supplements used in Honolulu were approved for use at the Hilo Medical Center. These supplements were administered three times a day through the gastrointestinal tube. Curcumin (Curcuma longa) was added to the regime as well as acupuncture treatments. Over a 3-month period, family members assisted with administration of supplements and Chinese medicine, and with medical necessities such as suction of the lungs, tracheal care, and gastrointestinal tube feeding. The patient also underwent daily massage and range of motion exercises.

Shortly after the patient became comatose (January 12) he developed complications including pneumonia, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), and Clostridium difficile infections. Antibiotics and anti-fungal medications were prescribed for these. The patient was inert as of the time he entered a coma and therefore was manually turned every 2 hr. In early February, his left eye began to drift inward, a result of nerve damage caused by the parasite. In mid February his blood pressure and heart rate began to rise and he was put on blood pressure medication. Soon after it was determined he had an enlarged heart. A brain MRI taken on February 19 reconfirmed the Queen's Medical Center evaluation. A lumbar puncture performed on February 23 had an opening pressure of 25 cm H20, WBC 203, 21% neutrophils, 40% lymphocytes, 33% monocytes, protein 102, and leukocytes 32. A shunt to relieve fluid in the brain was discussed, but ongoing infections precluded the operation. The patient ran a persistent fever and was put on antibiotics. His fever did not respond to treatment, and a CAT scan revealed a pleural effusion. A percutaneous thoracentesis was performed on March 3 but was unsuccessful. He was flown to the Queen's Medical Center, Honolulu, for a video assisted thoracoscopy including decortication for persistent empyema, and chest tubes were inserted on March 9. An MRI taken at Queen's determined he had communicating hydrocephalus and he was declared to be in a persistent vegetative state. He was returned to Hilo Medical Center 5 days later.

From the end of January and into February, although clinically comatose, the patient showed some signs of cognizance, responding appropriately to some conversation by what was interpreted by nurses, nurse aides, and family members as laughter or sadness (crying). In mid February the hospital speech therapist began working with the patient on swallowing reflexes, with the desired goal of removing the tracheal tube. By the end of February the patient was able to chew and swallow ice chips, nod yes and no, laugh, and grip hands.

Progress continued into March. On March 3 the tracheal cuff was deflated for a short period of time, allowing the patient to breathe through normal airways. At this time the patient was beginning to move his hands. Progress was impeded by the need for a lung operation and insertion of chest tubes. Chest tubes were removed on March 22, and on March 23 the tracheal cuff was deflated for the entire day and the patient was able to eat yogurt. Physical therapy was also begun on the same day. On March 27 the tracheal tube was changed to a fenestrated tracheal tube, and on March 29 the patient's status was upgraded and he was discharged to the long-term care ward at the Hilo Medical Center.

On March 30 a Passy-Muir Valve was provided to allow for speech therapy, and on the same day a standing table was used by physical therapists to help the patient stand for the first time. By this time the patient was regaining use of his forearms. On April 1 the patient spoke for the first time and was able to converse in short sentences. The pain in his legs that was present near the beginning of his illness had generally subsided, replaced by a feeling of cold and numbness on his left leg and arm and areas of his face, and he had lost use of two fingers on his left hand. His short-term memory was greatly impaired but his long-term memory was intact. His gaze was disconjugate with some nytagmus present, and he had severe ataxia, some hallucinations, and insomnia. Over the course of the month his swallowing reflexes improved, and he was able to eat and drink. By the end of April, while still extremely weak, he was able to walk a short distance (6–8 m) with a walker and two assistants. He was released from the Hilo Medical Center on April 30, 2009.

Use of Supplements

There are many claims for supplements that have not yet been validated scientifically. However, plant-based medicines have been used by various cultures for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. In this case, doctors had no hope for recovery. Therefore various supplemental treatments (Table 1) were administered through the stomach tube on a daily basis as it was agreed that they may provide some benefits and would probably not cause harm.

Table 1

Supplements and vitamin treatments administered.

Supplement Brand Dosage Other information
In hospital
Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis) Hawaiian Pacifica 0.5 tsp 3x/day Phytonutrient, blue-green alga, superior source of digestible protein, source of omega-3 fatty acids and gamma-linolenic acid
Chlorella (Chlorella vulgaris) NOW Foods 0.25 tsp 3x/day Phytonutrient, blue-green alga, source of chlorophyll
Noni (Morninda citrifolia) Eclectic Institute 2 capsules 3x/day Freeze dried fruit
Curcumin (Curcuma longa) Pure Encapsulations 2 capsules 3x/day Anti inflammatory
Bu Nao Wan Plum Flower 4–6 tablets 3x/day Replacement for Xing Nao Wan, contains Schisandra chinensis
Additional after release from hospital
EPA/DHA (eicosapentaenoic acid/docosahexaenoic acid) from fish oil Pure Encapsulations 2 capsules (1,000 mg per capsule) 3x/day Omega-3 fatty acids for cognitive function, promotes oxygen and nutrient delivery to the brain, supports cardiovascular health, important for optimal joint function
Acetyl-l-carnitine Pure Encapsulations 500 mg 2x/day Enhances cellular energy and neurotransmitter metabolism
Vitamins B1 (benfotiamine), B12 (methylcobalamin) Nerve Support Formula 4 capsules 3x/day Decreases symptoms of peripheral neuropathy
5-HTP (100 mg) Pure Encapsulations 1 capsule 3x/day Supports serotonin levels that can lead to positive effects on emotional well-being and wake/sleep cycles

Four months after release from hospital, the patient began vitamin therapy. The treatment and doses were prescribed by a licensed doctor and administered by a registered nurse. The therapy consisted of two intravenous nutrient infusions administered at alternating sessions as a drip. One was a phosphatidylcholine/glutathione mixture; the other consisted of high doses of vitamin C plus B vitamins and trace minerals, sometimes referred to as a Myers Cocktail after its creator, Dr. John Myers, of Johns Hopkins University.

The intravenous treatments were administered 3 times per week for 4 months. Within 14 days of beginning treatments the patient's left eye began to straighten and he remarked on improved vision and mental clarity. Additionally, both of his physical therapists commented that the ataxia and his ability to tell left from right had improved. Within 3 weeks of beginning the intravenous injections his sleeping and bowel and bladder symptoms showed signs of improvement, he was able to begin walking without two canes for support, and he was able to walk longer distances (∼100 m) without having to rest.

After discharge from hospital the patient still suffered from the severe and debilitating effects of the disease. His recovery, while painful and slow, has been steady. Four years after the onset of the disease he continues to take supplements. Those he consistently takes are fish oil, curcumin, vitamins B-1 and B-12, acetyl l-carnitine and 5HTP. His use of prescription medications ceased within 6 months of being released from the hospital. He still experiences problems with balance and vision, and he still suffers from bouts of insomnia. Lack of energy and vigor were extreme issues for 3 years.

However in the fourth year after the onset of the illness he has shown marked improvement. He is currently enrolled as a part-time student at a local community college. His vision is somewhat corrected with glasses, which allow him to read and write. His balance has improved with physical therapy and an exercise regime that focuses on core strength. He is able to ride a bicycle to and from classes and for other purposes. He plays guitar and is fluent in two foreign languages. In light of the dim prognosis given at onset of the disease, the recovery is considerable, indeed, quite remarkable. The protocol at Hilo Medical Center has now improved for victims presenting with symptoms of RLWD. Cases of RLWD on Hawai‘i island have resulted in permanent disability, making this serious disease worthy of further research to develop effective treatment, particularly for the long-term neurological effects.

This information is not meant to be used for self-diagnosis or as a substitute for consultation with a health care provider. If you have any questions about the parasites described above or think that you may have a parasitic infection, consult a health care provider.

© 2018 The Black Rabbit All Rights Reserved. Created by the Black Rabbit